Fresh food. Simple and seasonal. Mostly Mediterranean.
In this age of shunning carbs, traditional waffles can now seem like a guilty pleasure. So we were delighted to discover this healthy alternative, a fantastic oatmeal waffle recipe that keeps the waffle love alive. Two cups of oatmeal to a half a cup of flour tips the balance towards a less refined treat. We call it "oatmeal on a plate." We hope that you will call it your new favorite waffle!
1. Preheat the waffle iron.
2. Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir with a whisk.
3. Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk. Add the buttermilk, oil, vanilla and stir to combine.
4. Pour the egg/buttermilk mixture over the dry ingredients and stir briefly until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not over mix.
5. Spray the waffle iron with the oil. Pour 1-2 cups of batter(depends on the size of your iron) into the middle and close.
6. Serve waffles with seasonal fruit, toasted nuts (pecans, walnuts or almonds), and of course, pure maple syrup!